Re: [xsl] Random UUID in pure XSLT?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Random UUID in pure XSLT?
From: "David Carlisle d.p.carlisle@xxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2020 16:36:02 -0000
On Thu, 12 Nov 2020 at 16:28, Dimitre Novatchev dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx <

> > Do you think fn:unparsed-text() should be different with respect to
> > determinism than fn:doc() (and fn:document(), come to that)? Or do you
> > think they should also be nondeterministic?
>
> There is no reason why doc() and document() should be "more deterministic"
> than unparsed-text().
>
> I don't expect that anyone wrote XSLT code that relies on these functions
> being deterministic. Thus, correcting the tagging in a future specification
> and implementing them the right way is not likely to result in
> compatibility issues.
>
> Cheers,
> Dimitre

I'm not sure I agree with that. I'm sure someone (quite possibly me) has

<xsl:template match="whatever">
<xsl:if test="@foo=doc('http://example.com/zzz.xml')/a/b/c">...

and doesn't expect this to expose the order of template evaluation with the
value of doc(' http://example.com/ zzz.xml')/a/b/c changing every time, nor
in fact expect that the server is hit as many times as there are <whatever>
elements

David