Re: [xsl] Where is 'intersect' Operator Defined in XPath 3?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Where is 'intersect' Operator Defined in XPath 3?
From: "Liam R. E. Quin liam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2022 14:50:53 -0000
On Wed, 2022-08-10 at 09:16 +0000, Michael Kay mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> The main part of the expansion from 3 lines to 30 is thus in the
> addition of material that is technically redundant: mainly examples
> and notes.
>
> Now it's an open question how much of such redundant explanatory
> material the specification should include.

When i've taught XSLT 3 classes, i've asked, early on, whether the
attendees are comfortable reading the specs. Almost all say no. In an
in-person class of 8 to 10 people, maybe one hesitant hand goes up.

During the course we refer to the specs, looking up some examples, and
i show people a guilt-free way to read them, by finding the section
that applies, then going back and reading its introduction, then
reading the actual text lightly, then looking at the examples and
notes, then coming back and reading in detail if needed.

At the end of the course i ask the same question and every hand goes up
confidently.

Don (for XQuery 1) and Michael and the others who worked on the specs
did a truly excellent job at making them accessible in this way. I'm
very grateful to them, as are all the people who've been on the courses
i run :)

As to the original question of operators, part of what's going on was
that the division was made also to support the XPath & XQuery Formal
Semantics (FS) document, which we had to drop for 3.0 not least because
the main people editing it had moved on to other things, but also
because of technical difficulties.

So the split into op:* was no longer a priority - and we didn't have
people in the WG who demanded it because they needed to refer to them
for the FS spec.

liam

--
Liam Quin,B https://www.delightfulcomputing.com/