Re: [xsl] Where is 'intersect' Operator Defined in XPath 3?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Where is 'intersect' Operator Defined in XPath 3?
From: "Graydon graydon@xxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2022 23:45:43 -0000
On Tue, Aug 09, 2022 at 02:54:35PM -0000, Dimitre Novatchev
dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx scripsit:
> In Xpath 2.0 a very powerful new feature was introduced: that the last
> step in a path can be a function call.
>
> But this was nowhere properly described in any of the official
> specifications, except in the language grammar rules. Thus even today
> many developers are not aware of this feature and are absolutely
> surprised when told about it.

I think that's more on the developers than the spec, many of whom are
shakey on the sequence concept, too.  It's not hard to find out what a
path step is or how it's defined, certainly not with the current
specifications.

XSLT 2.0 was some time ago now, but I don't recall that I had to read
the specification closely -- or at all -- to find out that
//*[not(*)]/name() worked.  It was probably this list.

Teaching is not a spec task; neither are publicity or communicating best
practices.

--
Graydon Saunders  | graydonish@xxxxxxxxx
^fs oferiode, pisses swa mfg.