[Fwd: Copyright Clearance Initiative]

Subject: [Fwd: Copyright Clearance Initiative]
From: "Olga Francois" <ofrancois@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 09:47:14 -0500
> From: "WCL Copyright Clearance Initiative"
> <cci@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>Subject: Peter Jaszi - Invitation to Copyright
> Clearance Working GroupDate: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 18:01:17 -0500

> THE GLUSHKO-SAMUELSON INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY LAW CLINIC

> AMERICAN UNIVERSITY, WASHINGTON COLLEGE OF LAW

> COPYRIGHT CLEARANCE INITIATIVE WORKING GROUP MEETING

> WE NEED YOUR HELP!!

> *Authors *Scholars *Artists *Curators *Academics *Musicians

> *Archivists *Filmmakers *Computer Programmers

> ALL NEED TO USE MATERIALS FOR WHICH THEY CANNOT GET COPYRIGHT
> CLEARANCE BECAUSE THEY CANNOT LOCATE THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS!! THESE
> MATERIALS MAY BE OLD, OR OBSCURE OR UNPUBLISHED. WHAT THEY ALL HAVE IN
> COMMON IS THAT RIGHTS IN THEM ARE DIFFICULT OR IMPOSSIBLE TO TRACE.

> AS A RESULT, THE PUBLIC HAS LESS ACCESS TO THE BEST INFORMATION.

> Come to our working group meeting to help solve this copyright
> clearance problem. We will discuss

> * Frustrations with copyright clearance requirements;

> * The effect on the public's access to information; and

> * Possible legislative solutions.

> YOUR PARTICIPATION IS CRITICAL TO OUR SUCCESS!!

> Friday, April 11, 2003

> 9:00 am - 1:00 pm

> American University, Washington College of Law

> 4801 Massachusetts Avenue, NW

> Washington, DC 20006

> Room 601

> Breakfast and Lunch will be provided.

> Please RSVP

> cci@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> (202) 274- 4148

> If you cannot attend but are interested please let us know!

> The Glushko-Samuelson Intellectual Property Law Clinic strives to
> promote the public interest in copyright, patent, trademark and
> related fields. The Clinic represents individual creators and users of
> intellectual property, small businesses and communities of
> rights-holders and consumers, not-for-profit institution and
> associations, and other entities - all without fee.

 March 28, 2003 Dear Colleague: Over the past six months, the
Glushko-Samuelson Intellectual Property Clinic at American University,
Washington College of Law has initiated a public interest law project to
understand the problems created by the need to obtain copyright
clearances for all types of creators and scholars including authors,
artists, curators, historians, musicians and filmmakers.
In particular, we have strived to learn how the law of copyright shapes
decisions about what materials that might involve clearance problems are
included in or excluded from different kinds of works. For example,
creators and scholars may not be able to obtain copyright clearances for
materials that they want to use in their works; they may be unable to
locate the copyright holders or may lack the resources to track down
hard to reach copyright holders or the individuals who currently hold
rights to a work.
Throughout this project, our goal has been to develop and implement
solutions that serve the interests of the public, creators, and
copyright holders. Thanks to the input of many of you, this project has
already made significant progress. However, without your further
support, will not be able to advance to the stage of developing and
evaluating potential solutions. On April 11, 2003 the Clinic is hosting
a working group to explore possible solutions to problems that creators
and scholars face in obtaining copyright clearances. We invite you to
help us shape this next stage. The clinic has worked to develop some
legislative solutions and would like to get your feedback so that we may
begin the next phase of our work in Congress. Please contribute to this
effort to make Copyright law a tool for enriching our creative and
intellectual life. We need your input to create a workable legislative
solution for you.
Please let us know if you will be able to attend by April 7th. If you
are not able to attend, but are interested in participating in future
activities or know of any others that may be interested, please let us
know.
Sincerely,Andrea HarringtonNatalie KossGregory HawnDavid
YeeStudent-AttorneysGlushko-Samuelson IP Law Clinic