single user license agreement

Subject: single user license agreement
From: "Anne Mackereth" <amackereth@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 14:32:50 -0500
Hi - we are receiving many textbooks that include supplemental CDs
inside them.  The textbooks are part of our circulating collection.
Our
cataloger read the single user license agreement and noticed some
wording that we think could cause us trouble.  The agreement states
that
the software must be used "on only one computer at any one time."  No
problem.  However, it also states further down that the licensee shall
not "loan, rent, or lease the Software or any content."

I have been told that the attorney at our small University cannot be
consulted for such matters...so, in your opinion(s), does lending the
book with its CD constitute a possible copyright violation?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide!

Anne Mackereth
Public Services Librarian
Greenawalt Library
Northwestern Health Sciences University