RE: single user license agreement

Subject: RE: single user license agreement
From: "John T. Mitchell" <John@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 20:18:33 -0400
The first sale doctrine is codified in Section 109 of the Copyright Act,
and entitles the owner of a lawfully made copy to sell it, lend it or
give it away (and in most cases rent it) without the consent of the
copyright owner.

Adobe got away with persuading a court that a EULA trumped this (Adobe
v. One Stop Micro), but in another case, Softman Products v. Adobe
Systems, 171 F.Supp.2d 1075 (C.D. Cal. 2001), Adobe lost out.  The court
correctly saw that use of a EULA to trump statutory limitations should
be void as against public policy.

I've written a lot on this issue because I believe such conduct
restrains trade in violation of the Sherman Act.  One very short piece
(for a non-legal audience) that you may find of interest is at
http://interactionlaw.com/interactionlaw/id12.html, arguing that a
Microsoft  EULA that improperly expands the scope of the copyright
beyond the limits set by Congress could result in copyright impotence -
an inability to enforce the copyright while such misuse is ongoing.

John

John T. Mitchell
http://interactionlaw.com
1-202-415-9213