Re: digital-copyright Digest 25 Sep 2004 15:00:00 -0000 Issue 424

Subject: Re: digital-copyright Digest 25 Sep 2004 15:00:00 -0000 Issue 424
From: Edward Barrow <edward@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 18:00:34 +0100
On Saturday 25 September 2004 19:24, Joseph J. Esposito wrote:
> It won't be negotiable for long.  Interlibrary loans of digital materials
> (not hardcopy) raise the specter of a publisher only being able to sell a
> single copy of a publication, with other copies being disseminated free of
> charge.  I don't know of any institutions that would be willing to shoulder
> the cost (500x?  2,000x?) of providing a subscription for the the entire
> library community.  Widespread interlibrary loan will simply mean that many
> things simply won't get published.
>
> Joe Esposito

This, however, assumes that the current business model for scholarly
publishing prevails - which is by no means certain.  In fact, for those
scholarly publishers who rely on subscription income, the emergence of
so-called "Open Archiving" publishing models, where the cost of publication
and peer review is met by the author's institution rather than the readers',
(note careful positioning of apostrophes)  is today a considerably greater
challenge than subscription erosion through inter-library document delivery.

Publishers have to ensure that their licence offerings meet the needs of the
marketplace, and if that means permitting electronic inter-library document
delivery, it will be negotiable on appropriate terms and subject to fair
conditions to prevent subscription substitution.

--
Edward Barrow
Copyright Consultant