RE: Students and copyright

Subject: RE: Students and copyright
From: <wford@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 14:36:10 -0500 (CDT)
Asli,

I do think their approach is unnecessary and wasteful. I agree
with the previous comment about how these requests are
unnecessary, since these uses constitute fair use. But these
requests are also wasteful because it takes time and effort to
ask permission. This is not a commercial endeavor. You don't
have a licensing department to facilitate all of these
requests for your papers, dissertation, etc. (A university may
have a licensing department to regulate uses of their
trademarks. One reason they do this is to control media
portrayals of their marks. But these departments won't help
you seek permission from every author you want to quote from.)

The institution needs to think about what they plan to do when
an author says "no." One reason for authors to say "no" would
be to prevent critical discussions of their work. There may be
social disincentives to do this in the academic community, but
the institution still needs to decide if they potentially want
to help authors shut down critical discussions of their work.
Keeping authors from doing this is another factor in favor of
these uses being fair.

-Bill