Re: Havard Business Review

Subject: Re: Havard Business Review
From: John Mitchell <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2008 23:29:35 -0500
Kat, I've never gone so far as to believe contract trumps copyright. Sure, contracts within the scope of copyright are fine, but contracts that leverage copyrights into control over uses specifically excluded from copyright should, at best, be void and unenforceable as a matter of public policy (and at worst, copyright misuse and a Sherman Act violation). A good parallel might be employment law. Employers have certain rights and employees have certain rights, but we would not tolerate an employer obtaining contractual agreements from employees, as a condition of employment, to waive all rights enjoyed by the employee as a matter of law. Sure, some prospective employees might find it "a better deal" to waive rights against age, sex, or race discrimination in exchange for a higher salary, and the "free market" would find that to be just dandy, but we, as a society, would not tolerate it.

As a matter of pure copyright law, when the grant of section 106 rights is made expressly "subject to sections 107-122," those sections would lose much of their value if copyright owners could license section 106 rights only on condition that the licensee waive the limitations in 107-122, don't you think?

John

John T. Mitchell
http://interactionlaw.com