Re: Havard Business Review

Subject: Re: Havard Business Review
From: Kathrine Henderson <kathrinehenderson@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 21:25:23 -0800 (PST)
hmmm, I think that contracts can trump copyright law unless the contract
itself is fraudulent, deceptive or unconscionable. If I have time later in the
week, I'll see if I can come up with some citations on this issue.

I can see
where you are going with your employment example.  But, I think that employees
contractually agreeing to the kinds of things that you are suggesting would
fall under an unconscionable contract. Taking this to an extreme, we cannot
enslave people even if they agree to it contractually.

In any case, this
situation certainly begs some questions.  If contract law doesn't trump
copyright, then why is EBSCO including this caveat? How is it that HBR can
make such a demand?  Why aren't other publishers doing the same thing--or are
they doing so in a less visible way?  Why aren't we all posting links to HBR?
My $.02,

Kat