Re: Harvard Business Review

Subject: Re: Harvard Business Review
From: Kathrine Henderson <kathrinehenderson@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 21:16:35 -0800 (PST)
It seems to me that First Sale Doctrine isn't applicable to the Harvard
Business Review situation.  There isn't a specific, lawfully purchased copy.
Issues of transfer--loan, resale, rent, etc do not apply.  Even if 109 is
applicable, contractual agreements between libraries and database providers
for example, do not allow authorized users to give away content to
nonauthorized users.

I'm also not convinced that we can make a claim that
what HBR is doing is preventing fair use.  The court has already spoken on
this in several DMCA cases.  Essentially, not allowing a particular
activity--posting a presistent link to a course page in this case--is within
the content owners' rights.  One can still go to the library and access the
article and use it for scholarship, criticism, parody, or whatever fair use
one wishes, that this isn't the user's preference and is less convenient
doesn't come into play.

Although none of this seems particularly
fair--advantage goes to the copyright holder and everyone is losing out of
some of the advantages of digital content .   Fairness issues aside, I do have
concerns about what will happen if everyone does what HBR is doing.  I think
that this is yet another facet of the problems we are faced with given the
current scholarly publishing model which we can already see is not sustainable
in a post Google world.

BTW, thanks to all of you for an interesting
discussion--I'm a sole practioner these days and its good to be thinking out
loud on these issues.

Kat