Re: Harvard Business Review

Subject: Re: Harvard Business Review
From: John Mitchell <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 09:49:12 -0500
I think there are two entirely different issues. It is one thing to
contract away a right, and quite another to contract to acquire the
removal of a limitation to which a right is subject. Take, for
example, section 109(a), a much more straightforward and clear section
than fair use. As the owner of a lawfully made book (a lawfully made
copy of a literary work), I am "entitled" by law to sell it, lend it
or give it away without the consent of the copyright owner. If a
someone -- not the copyright owner -- offers me the book only on
condition that I not transfer possession to anyone else, then I see no
problem agreeing not to transfer possession if the terms of the offer
make sense to me.

But if the copyright owner exercises the copyright owner's exclusive
right to reproduce or distribute a copy of the work on condition that
I not exercise my section 109(a) entitlement, it is an entirely
different matter. Congress explicitly stated that the exclusive rights
are subject to section 109 -- you don't get the exclusive rights
without submitting to the superior 109 right. Second, the section 109
right protects a huge public benefit that reaches far beyond my own
personal economic interests. If I give up my statutory right because
it makes economic sense to me, then I and the copyright owner have
just (1) agreed to nullify a limitation placed upon the copyright
owner's exercise of exclusive rights, (2) agreed to suppress the
secondary market for used books (antitrust), (3) impaired access to
more affordable or free copies to those who cannot afford the
copyright owner's price, directly contrary to a purpose of copyright
to widen dissemination, and (4) entered into an agreement impairing
freedom of speech, which the courts should refuse to enforce (in the
nature of Shelley v. Kramer) since the agreement does not fall within
the copyright exception to the First Amendment.

Practically speaking, a bookstore could make a calculation that if
only one buyer could read each book, it might be able to sell more
books, and therefore it could offer a discount to all buyers who agree
not to let anyone else read the book (assuming the increased sales
revenue exceeds the loss due t the discount). Buyers would be free to
take it or leave it. Some, who had no plans to let anyone else read
it, might take the offer. Others, who saw greater value in selling the
book, lending it or giving it away, could reject it. If the bookseller
offered this as the only option, people could buy the book elsewhere.
But when a copyright owner conditions the exercise of its exclusive
right on the buyer agreeing to assist in preventing the operation of
the limitation on that right, it's like being given one, but only one,
wish come true, and your one wish is to have unlimited wishes come true.

Sure, I realize copyright owners have pulled some of these stunts
(like the self-destructing DVD that costs more to make but is sold
cheaper on the theory that more people will have to buy them because
the secondary market -- and all of section 109's entitlement --
disappears), but getting away with it doesn't make it legal.

John