Re: Harvard Business Review

Subject: Re: Harvard Business Review
From: John Mitchell <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 10:15:54 -0500
I take issue with a couple of statements in your first paragraph. The first sale doctrine -- at least its codification in Section 109 -- no longer requires a sale. The copy in question need only be "lawfully made". As for an agreement not to transfer possession of a lawfully made copy to users other than those authorized by the copyright owner, I realize some major software companies like to see it that way, but I've been litigating in the opposite direction, based largely on the fact that such agreements must be judged under antitrust laws, are against the public policy underlying copyright law, and that there is no "exclusive right to use" in section 106 -- no country that I know of gives copyright owners the exclusive right to decide who can "use" (as in "perform privately") their work, much less to do so from a particular copy.

I realize that copyright maximalists have had a field day in courts recently, particularly since so many judges seem to assume that the Copyright Act must be re-invented for anything with the word "digital" thrown in, but I, for one, am a firm believer in the Supreme Court's Fogerty v. Fantasy principle that preventing copyright owners from overreaching beyond the limits of their copyrights is just as important a pubic policy as is protecting their exclusive rights from infringement, and I believe that most "digital rights" issues can be resolved based on the same principles applicable to copyright-related technology of 1909.

John