RE: E-Reserves question

Subject: RE: E-Reserves question
From: Sandy Thatcher <sandy.thatcher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2011 18:54:16 -0500
At 4:15 PM -0400 9/3/11, Peter B. Hirtle wrote:
>On the issue of whether a whether a use is a first use or a subsequent use in
>the fair use analysis, I would direct Sandy to the position statement by
>Georgia Harper and Peggy Hoon on e-reserves found at
>http://www.ala.org/ala/issuesadvocacy/copyright/fairuse/fairuseandelectronicr
>eserves/index.cfm.  It makes no mention of subsequent use of the same item as
>part of the fair use analysis.  This makes sense, since there is also no
>mention of first or subsequent use in the statute, which simply states that
>copies made for use in the classroom are normally not an infringement of
>copyright.

Georgia Harper developed the idea of "first time use is fair use" in
reference to the Classroom Guidelines' notion of "spontaneity,"
believing that permissions took so long to obtain that the first use
could almost always be considered "spontaneous" whereas uses in
subsequent years would not satisfy this criterion. You're right: it
is not part of the law, nor are the Classroom Guidelines. But I know
that it is a practice that has been widely adopted by libraries.
Given the change in the technology of permissions, the justification
for it no longer exists, as Harper explained in her footnote.

>We all believe that it is legal for a faculty member to assign a chapter or
>article as part of the requirements of a course.  And I think most people
>(other than publishers) believe that it should be legal for the student to
>make a personal copy of an assigned article or chapter, provided that the
>copying does not substitute for the purchase of the book or journal.  Since
>there are different students in the course every semester, the fair use clock
>naturally should reset for new students at the start of each term.

But I'll remind Peter that before the 1976 Copyright Act imported the
reference to "multiple copies" into the preamble of Section 107, this
kind of copying was not considered as fair use, Indeed, Judge Newman
in the landmark Texaco case, decided well after the Act came into
effect, famously explained:
We would seriously question whether the fair use analysis that has
developed with respect to works of authorship alleged to use portions
of copyrighted material is precisely applicable to copies produced by
mechanical means. The traditional fair use analysis, now codified in
section 107, developed in an effort to adjust the competing interests
of the authors - the author of the original copyrighted work and the
author of the secondary work that 'copies' a portion of the original
work in the course
of producing what is claimed to be a new work. Mechanical 'copying'
of an entire document, made readily feasible by the advent of
xerography . . . , is obviously an activity entirely different from
creating a work of authorship. Whatever social utility copying of
this sort achieves, it is not concerned with creative authorship.

--
Sanford G. Thatcher
8201 Edgewater Drive

"If a book is worth reading, it is worth buying."-John Ruskin (1865)

"The reason why so few good books are written is that so few people
who can write know anything."-Walter Bagehot (1853)