Re: E-Reserves question

Subject: Re: E-Reserves question
From: ESperr@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2011 10:49:19 -0400
Sandy --

I wonder then if you could comment on the difference between the AAUP
circa 1996, which seemed to recognize the importance of Fair Use to the
system of scholarly communication, and the AAUP circa 2011, which (along
with the plaintiffs in the GSU case) seems to take a breathtakingly
maximalist position. It is *very* hard to reconcile the proposed CONFU
guidelines of then with the proposed injunction that the publishers are
seeking against GSU right now.

I agree with Kevin that guidelines like this aren't the be-all-end-all,
but at the end of the day I need something more concrete to tell my
faculty than "it depends". On campus, we do try to communicate the notion
that our policy is a "floor and not a ceiling". Coloring inside the lines
should always be safe, but there *may* also be uses outside our policy
that are okay as well.

Going forward, I am very much looking forward to the new Fair use guide
coming from the ARL
(http://chronicle.com/article/Pushing-Back-Against-Legal/127690/)....

Ed Sperr, M.L.I.S.
Copyright and Electronic Resources Officer
St. George's University
esperr@xxxxxxx

Sandy Thatcher <sandy.thatcher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
09/02/2011 12:41 PM

ESperr@xxxxxxx, digital-copyright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Re: E-Reserves question

Interesting that you should mention CONFU's e-reserve guidelines.
Yours is not the only library whose policy has been influenced by
them. In fact, in a survey I helped conduct some ten years ago, it
became clear that the CONFU standard, though never officially
endorsed by CONFU itself, has become a de facto standard throughout
the country.

The CONFU guidelines were drafted by Kenny Crews (who was an expert
witness in the GSU case). I was the primary representative for the
AAUP in negotiating language that would allow the AAUP to endorse the
guidelines, and the language of point 4 you quote was something that
I recommended as key to making it possible for the AAUP to support
the guidelines. The guidelines were endorsed not only by the AAUP but
by a number of other groups including the ACLS and several smaller
library associations, but not the ARL or ALA. They, like the AAP,
felt they could succeed in lobbying Congress to pass legislation more
favorable to their interests. That, of course, did not happen. A
major opportunity was lost, in my opinion, but I was pleased that
many libraries endorsed the guidelines in de facto fashion anyway.

Sandy Thatcher

At 11:43 AM -0400 9/2/11, ESperr@xxxxxxx wrote:
>Perhaps the CONFU "Fair use guidelines for electronic reserves systems"
>(http://copyright.lib.utexas.edu/rsrvguid.html) might be of some
assistance? I
>certainly hope so, as our own campus policy has been informed by them.
All the
>caveats noted for CONTU, etc. about this not being "the law" still apply
of
>course.
>
>Under "scope", we see point 3: "Electronic reserve systems should
>not include any material unless the instructor, the library, or another
unit
>of the educational institution possesses a lawfully obtained copy." This
would
>seem to indicate that ILL is a-ok.
>
>However, I *might* be a little worried about point 4: "The total amount
of
>material included in electronic reserve systems for a specific course as
>matter of fair use should be a small proportion of the total assigned
reading
>for a particular course." Depending on the total reading assigned, eleven
>articles seems to shade close to coursepack territory -- a place where
factor
>four might loom larger...
>

>    >Faculty member wants to put 11 articles obtained from ILL on
E-Reserves.
>    >What are your thoughts on this?  Fair use or not?
>    >--
>    >David A. Scott
>    >Access Services Librarian
>    >Ferris Library for Information Technology&  Education
>

>Ed Sperr, M.L.I.S.
>Copyright and Electronic Resources Officer
>St. George's University
>esperr@xxxxxxx

>This email has been scanned by the MessageLabs Email Security System.
>For more information please visit http://www.messagelabs.com/email

Sanford G. Thatcher
8201 Edgewater Drive
Frisco, TX  75034-5514
e-mail: sandy.thatcher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Phone: (214) 705-1939
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/sanford.thatcher

"If a book is worth reading, it is worth buying."-John Ruskin (1865)

"The reason why so few good books are written is that so few people
who can write know anything."-Walter Bagehot (1853)