Re: E-Reserves question

Subject: Re: E-Reserves question
From: Sandy Thatcher <sandy.thatcher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2011 12:09:12 -0500
At 10:49 AM -0400 9/5/11, ESperr@xxxxxxx wrote:
>Sandy --
>
>I wonder then if you could comment on the difference between the
>AAUP circa 1996, which seemed to recognize the importance of Fair
>Use to the system of scholarly communication, and the AAUP circa
>2011, which (along with the plaintiffs in the GSU case) seems to
>take a breathtakingly maximalist position. It is *very* hard to
>reconcile the proposed CONFU guidelines of then with the proposed
>injunction that the publishers are seeking against GSU right now.

I don't see any inconsistency at all. Perhaps you'll understand why
if you read my article in Against the Grain (March 2010), which you
can access here:
http://www.psupress.org/news/SandyThatchersWritings.html

>I agree with Kevin that guidelines like this aren't the
>be-all-end-all, but at the end of the day I need something more
>concrete to tell my faculty than "it depends". On campus, we do try
>to communicate the notion that our policy is a "floor and not a
>ceiling". Coloring inside the lines should always be safe, but there
>*may* also be uses outside our policy that are okay as well.

And that is exactly the reason that i believe many universities
decided to adopt the CONFU guidelines as a de facto policy. The
alternative, which is reflected also in many universities' policies,
is simply to say that the university follows fair use, reproduce
Section 107,  and leave it at that.

The checklist championed by Ken Crews at Indiana and Columbia, and
adopted belatedly at GSU, is somewhere in between these options.

>Going forward, I am very much looking forward to the new Fair use
>guide coming from the ARL
>(http://chronicle.com/article/Pushing-Back-Against-Legal/127690/)...

I look forward to this also, but would recommend that you take a look
at the booklet on copyright, written by Michael Les Benedict, that
will soon be forthcoming from the American historical Association. I
saw it in draft form and offered comments.  Benedict and I were the
two external reviewers for the book by Stanley Lindberg and L. Ray
Patterson that inspired the previous, but now abandoned, GSU policy:
http://books.google.com/books?id=pTIS8HWvNOgC&dq=the+nature+of+copyright+the+law+of+users+rights&printsec=frontcover&source=bn&hl=en&ei=cqpaTLz4IIGC8gbCiMj8AQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CCwQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q&f=false