Re: E-Reserves question

Subject: Re: E-Reserves question
From: ESperr@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 10:42:32 -0400
Interesting commentary in ATG -- it's always useful to get another
perspective. However, I am a little confused by your statement that,
"Because the plaintiffs [in the GSU case] were not seeking damages for
past infringements but only an injunction against future illegal
copying...". The proposed injunction (
http://docs.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/georgia/gandce/1:2008cv01425/150651/300/1.html
) goes a bit further than that. It demands that *all* ereserves activity
be explicitly bound (no coloring outside the lines ever) by the "Agreement
on Guidelines for Classroom Copying", which is more restrictive than the
CONFU recommendation. It also imposes a substantial documentation and
reporting burden on GSU. Plaintiffs might well believe that they have good
reasons for asking for these things, but they do go beyond merely
preventing "illegal copying" as it is currently understood.

I also don't quite understand all the angst about the fact that the
University System of Georgia has changed its policy since the suit was
brought. Surely this was one the main strategic goals of the plaintiffs,
to get the USG to reject its earlier (rather expansive) view of fair use?