RE: E-Reserves question

Subject: RE: E-Reserves question
From: "Lee, Dan" <leed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 15:32:41 +0000
If the CCC wins the Georgia State case in the way they suggest in their
pleadings monograph purchasing will certainly be reduced, but not as revenge.
It's just the real world. Our acquisitions budget has been flat for a number
of years. (We consider that a huge success as our staffing has been
consistently reduced over that same period of time.) With inflation across all
sectors, that budget buys less. Inflation in serials is usually higher than in
monographs, and, this is the key point, serials show much higher use than
monographs. Cuts happen throughout the budget, but serials get used so are
slightly more protected than monographs. If we need to pay for permission to
use this material (why else are we paying for it in the first place?), it will
reduce buying power on the same budget and thus monograph purchasing goes
down. Sounds like a mature decision to me.

Also, football coaches here are paid out of non-state money; library budgets
are state funded. Questions of campus priorities are irrelevant. But I would
like to add that your assistant football coaches must be paid a whole lot more
than ours.

Dan Lee
University of Arizona