RE: [digital-copyright] RE: Amazon streaming video for classroom use?

Subject: RE: [digital-copyright] RE: Amazon streaming video for classroom use?
From: "Peter B. Hirtle" <pbh6@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 16:38:35 +0000
I appreciate John Mitchell's thoughtful answers.  They are helping me to
refine my thinking on this matter.

I would still maintain that the issue is primarily a matter of
Amazon/Netflix's terms of service.  If we accept contractual terms that are
narrower than what copyright (or any other) law would allow, we must still
abide by those terms.  (Indeed, I have heard publishers say that by offering
libraries products that have more restrictions than are found in the Copyright
Act, they are able to offer those products at a lower price.)

Kevin Smith stated that a classroom showing could be "arguably private," but I
am still having trouble seeing how that can be the case.  110(1) says that in
spite of 106's ban on public performances, it is ok to show a film in a
classroom.  A classroom showing is a public performance, but 110(1) exempts
that public performance from the normal rules giving copyright owners the
power to control those performances.  (After all, if showing a film in a
classroom was not a public performance, there would be no need for 110(1)
since nothing in 106 prohibits private performances.)  The Amazon agreement is
limited to "Private Uses."  Can a classroom showing of a movie be both a
"public performance" (under Copyright law) and a "private use" (as per
Amazon's terms)?

While not nearly as relevant, it is interesting to speculate on whether
showing an Amazon or Netflix film in a classroom could also be a copyright
infringement.  Normally I would say "no" thanks to 110(1).  110(1) speaks of
the performance of a "work" (irrespective of any physical or digital format).
It requires that the performance be my means of a legally-made copy, but the
only "copy" would be the copy on the Amazon streaming server and we have to
assume it was legally made.  If the streaming created a copy on the receiving
institution's end, then there might be a problem - but has anyone said that
streaming creates copies (in copyright terms)?

But then as I read more, I started worrying more.  The House Report on 110(1)
defines face-to-face teaching in a very peculiar way: "'Face-to-face teaching
activities' under clause (1) embrace instructional performances and displays
that are not 'transmitted.' ... Use of the phrase "in the course of
face-to-face teaching activities" is intended to exclude broadcasting or other
transmissions from an outside location into classrooms, whether
radio or television and whether open or closed circuit."  Aren't Amazon and
Netflix movies being "transmitted" from an outside location into a classroom?
Does this make them ineligible for 110(1) protections?

Peter