Re: [digital-copyright] RE: Amazon streaming video for classroom use?

Subject: Re: [digital-copyright] RE: Amazon streaming video for classroom use?
From: Kevin Smith <kevin.l.smith@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 17:36:59 +0000
I regret that I was read as arguing that 110(1) makes a classroom showing
private.  I did not meant that and be,I eve it would be incorrect.  A
classroom showing is, as Peter says, a public performance which is explicitly
excluded from the exclusive right over such performances.  But what I did want
to suggest is that for the instructor, who has signed an agreement with Amazon
or whoever, using her account to show a film in a classroom might be a
"private use" on her part, precisely because she is making a classroom use
that is explicitly rendered under her control and for which no public
performance rights are needed.

Kevin L. Smith, J.D.
Director of Scholarly Communication
Duke University
Perkins Library
P.O. Box 90193
Durham, NC 27708
919-668-4451

Sent from my iPad

On Feb 20, 2013, at 11:43 AM, "Peter B. Hirtle" <pbh6@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I appreciate John Mitchell's thoughtful answers.  They are helping me to
> refine my thinking on this matter.
>
> I would still maintain that the issue is primarily a matter
> Amazon/Netflix's terms of service.  If we accept contractual terms that are
> narrower than what copyright (or any other) law would allow, we must still
> abide by those terms.  (Indeed, I have heard publishers say that by
offering
> libraries products that have more restrictions than are found in the
Copyright