Re: [digital-copyright] RE: Amazon streaming video for classroom use?

Subject: Re: [digital-copyright] RE: Amazon streaming video for classroom use?
From: Kevin Smith <kevin.l.smith@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 18:04:40 +0000
That is where I think I come down.

Kevin L. Smith, J.D.
Director of Scholarly Communication
Duke University
Perkins Library
P.O. Box 90193
Durham, NC 27708
919-668-4451

Sent from my iPad

On Feb 20, 2013, at 1:00 PM, "Peter B. Hirtle" <pbh6@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Very helpful, Kevin.  So a faculty member might be able to use her personal
Amazon or Netflix account to show a movie to a class, but a library would not
be able to use an Amazon or Netflix account to meet student and faculty needs
- is that correct?

> Peter

private.  I did not meant that and be,I eve it would be incorrect.  A
classroom showing is, as Peter says, a public performance which is explicitly
excluded from the exclusive right over such performances.  But what I did want
to suggest is that for the instructor, who has signed an agreement with Amazon
or whoever, using her account to show a film in a classroom might be a
"private use" on her part, precisely because she is making a classroom use
that is explicitly rendered under her control and for which no public
performance rights are needed.

> Kevin L. Smith, J.D.
> Director of Scholarly Communication
> Duke University
> Perkins Library
> P.O. Box 90193
> Durham, NC 27708
> 919-668-4451
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Feb 20, 2013, at 11:43 AM, "Peter B. Hirtle" <pbh6@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I appreciate John Mitchell's thoughtful answers.  They are helping me
>> to refine my thinking on this matter.
>>
>> I would still maintain that the issue is primarily a matter
>> Amazon/Netflix's terms of service.  If we accept contractual terms
>> that are narrower than what copyright (or any other) law would allow,
>> we must still abide by those terms.  (Indeed, I have heard publishers
>> say that by offering libraries products that have more restrictions
>> than are found in the Copyright Act, they are able to offer those
>> products at a lower price.)
>>
>> Kevin Smith stated that a classroom showing could be "arguably
>> private," but I am still having trouble seeing how that can be the
>> case.  110(1) says that in spite of 106's ban on public performances,
>> it is ok to show a film in a classroom.  A classroom showing is a
>> public performance, but 110(1) exempts that public performance from
>> the normal rules giving copyright owners the power to control those
>> performances.  (After all, if showing a film in a classroom was not a
>> public performance, there would be no need for 110(1) since nothing in
>> 106 prohibits private performances.)  The Amazon agreement is limited
>> to "Private Uses."  Can a classroom showing of a movie be both a
>> "public performance" (under Copyright law) and a "private use" (as per
Amazon's terms)?

>> While not nearly as relevant, it is interesting to speculate on
>> whether showing an Amazon or Netflix film in a classroom could also be
>> a copyright infringement.  Normally I would say "no" thanks to 110(1).
>> 110(1) speaks of the performance of a "work" (irrespective of any physical
or digital format).
>> It requires that the performance be my means of a legally-made copy,
>> but the only "copy" would be the copy on the Amazon streaming server
>> and we have to assume it was legally made.  If the streaming created a
>> copy on the receiving institution's end, then there might be a problem
>> - but has anyone said that streaming creates copies (in copyright terms)?
>>
>> But then as I read more, I started worrying more.  The House Report on
>> 110(1) defines face-to-face teaching in a very peculiar way:
>> "'Face-to-face teaching activities' under clause (1) embrace
>> instructional performances and displays that are not 'transmitted.'
>> ... Use of the phrase "in the course of face-to-face teaching
>> activities" is intended to exclude broadcasting or other transmissions
>> from an outside location into classrooms, whether radio or television
>> and whether open or closed circuit."  Aren't Amazon and Netflix movies
being "transmitted" from an outside location into a classroom?
>> Does this make them ineligible for 110(1) protections?
>>
>> Peter

upon the customer risks losing customers.