Re: [stella] Cubis the text

Subject: Re: [stella] Cubis the text
From: jvmatthe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 16:11:16 -0500 (EST)
> >so....  Lots of problems to work on.  Also in the works...Merlin 2600!
>
> Is this the electonic game with the four coloured buttons by MB, where you
> have to remember sequences of tones and press the right button at the right
> time?

Nope, but you are close.  The one you mention is called by another male
name: Simon.  The name comes from the children's game called ``Simon Says...''
where the leader calls out instructions but the players aren't supposed
to carry them out unless they are prefaced by ``Simon Says...''

Merlin is from the same handheld game era, however.  In fact, when I first
read your question, I wondered if I had made a mistake and said the wrong
game.  Merlin is in the shape (roughly) of a phone.  Let me try my hand
at a little ASCII art again...
   _______
  | ===== |
  | ===== |
 | ======= |   <---- Speaker
 | ======= |
| ========= |
| ========= |
+-----------+
|    +-+    |
|    |0|    |  <---- button zero
|  +-+-+-+  |
|  |0|0|0|  |  <---- buttons 1,2,3
|  +-+-+-+  |
|  |0|0|0|  |  <---- buttons 4,5,6
|  +-+-+-+  |
|  |0|0|0|  |  <---- buttons 7,8,9
|  +-+-+-+  |
|    |0|    |  <---- button 10
|    +-+    |
+-----------+
|  ### ###  |  <---- New Game, Comp Turn
|  ### ###  |
 |         |
 | ### ### |
  |### ###|    <---- Same Game, Hit Me
  |_______|

The machine itself was red (two tone...bright red front...dark red back)
with grey buttons (New Game, Comp Turn, etc) and red membrane covered
numeric keypad.  It has 6 built in programs including (1) Tic Tac Toe,
(2) Blackjack, (3) Music maker, (4) Memory (like Simon), (5) Mastermind,
and one like the new Bob Colbert game Okie Dokie.

I figured with two Atari keypads linked together on their tracks, it would
be made perfect for Merlin 2600.  You would have to turn them sideways, but
it wouldn't be bad.  Reproducing the tones might be tough, but I am going
to give it a shot.

Plus, maybe you could have secret codes to access secret games! ;^)

> >Same here!  Do you need a cartridge that uses the keyboard controllers so
> >I can make it up to you about the Life program.
>
> Thanks for the offer, but this won't be nessessary. I can use them with my
> Star Raiders cart, if I ever figure out what the keysetup is for this game.
> Also the older NTSC carts are more likely to produce rolling pictures on PAL
> VCSs. You should better save your money to buy a soundcard, so that you can
> write better games for all of us to enjoy.

I have a cheap 8-bit SB card right now (for $10) but I really want one with
a joystick port that works.  At least I can export to my SC now...

matt

/ | \ http://www4.ncsu.edu/~jvmatthe/www/               | (919) 515 7324