Re: [stella] Here's a rough binary

Subject: Re: [stella] Here's a rough binary
From: Nick S Bensema <nickb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 08:33:48 -0700 (MST)

>At 15.41 02/04/97 -0800, Greg Troutman wrote:
>
>>I've been frustrated trying to figure out a bunch of hard stuff, so I
>>snarfed and fibrulated some code from Stellar Trak to throw this
>>together.  I find it mildly amusing.
>
>Great! Retro-adventure games on the VCS!
>
>Some random ideas:
>
>- add basic object handling (take, use, inventory...)
>- use Supercharger multi-loads to increase game depth

These two things will probably be necessary.  At least the use of the 6K
area will be needed at some point.  Perhaps some sort of compression of
room descriptions would be in order.  For example, every room has a list
of pointers in it.... this pointer is possibly multiplied by 2 or 4 so we
have 512 or 1024 bytes of text data instead of 256, and added to the
location of the REAL lines of text:

This example will not use multiplication, but....

ROOM1	.byte YouHave,ReachedA,DeadEnd
ROOM2   .byte YouHave,FallenInto,AHugeHole

TextData .byte lY,lO,lU,sp,lH,lA,lV,lE,eol
X1       .byte lF,lA,lL,lL,lE,lN,sp,lI,lN,lT,lO,eol
X2       .byte lA,sp,lH,lU,lG,lE,sp,lH,lO,lL,lE,eol
X3       .byte lR,lE,lA,lC,lH,lE,lD,sp,lA,eol
X4       .byte lD,lE,lA,lD,sp,lE,lN,lD,eol

YouHave = 0
FallenInto = X1-TextData
AHugeHole = X2-TextData
ReachedA = X3-TextData
DeadEnd = X4-TextData

I made some assumptions about how the values of the letters are represented.

>- background music
>- (this takes a lot of memory and developing time) reserve part of the
>screen for a simple, playfield-based, image. Or maybe use images only for
>important events (finding objects, enemies...)

And background music doesn't?

--
Archives available at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/