Re: [stella] Here's a rough binary

Subject: Re: [stella] Here's a rough binary
From: Greg Troutman <mor@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 1997 11:03:25 -0800
Piero Cavina wrote:

> At 12.42 03/04/97 -0500, Chris Pepin wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 2 Apr 1997, Greg Troutman wrote:
> >
> >> I've been frustrated trying to figure out a bunch of hard stuff, so I
> >> snarfed and fibrulated some code from Stellar Trak
>
> >As for the controls, I sometimes found myself moving more than
> >one screen at a time when I would push the buttton.
>
> Here's how I think the controls should work:
>
> For movement, just push the joystick in the appropriate direction. "NORTH,
> SOUTH..." etc is displayed in the command line.
>
> For the other actions, press the joystick button to display the first
> command. While holding the button, use the stick to scroll through commands.
> Release the button to select the desired action (there should be a "back to
> movement" command if one changes his mind).

I've already changed it to something similar.  You hold the stick up,
down, left, right to display NORTH, SOUTH, EAST, WEST.  While still
holding it in that direction, you press the fire button to go that way.
If you release the stick, it always shows LOOK.  If you press the fire
button with LOOK displayed, you get the second level of detail for the
room you're in, and the menu changes to one that works like you've
already seen: left and right to scroll through the USE, TAKE, GIVE,
TALK, and INVENTORY options, plus GO to return to the directional menu.
And I put in a switch that makes you lift up the fire button before it
works again, so you don't fly through multiple rooms like before.

I've got the TAKE and INVENTORY mostly working, and I'll try and post a
beta version as soon as there is actually a working puzzle or two--in
the next few days I hope.

Down to my last 400 bytes of standard ROM.  Gotta do some compressing ;)

--
mor@xxxxxxx
http://www.crl.com/~mor/

--