Re: [stella] MultiSprite... game update (playable!)

Subject: Re: [stella] MultiSprite... game update (playable!)
From: Piero Cavina <p.cavina@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 17:06:33 +0200 (METDST)
At 11.58 21/04/97 -0500, Lee Seitz wrote:

>Piero Cavina boldly stated:
>>
>>Please excuse my ignorance, but I don't know anything about the Atari 2600
>>trackball. You speak of a joystick mode, does this mean that it can be used
>>to emulate the joystick in any joystick game?
>
>Yes.  The 2600 trackball has a small switch on it for selecting either
>joystick mode or trackball mode.  In joystick mode, it sends signals
>as if it were a joystick.  Roll the ball left, and it sends a joystick
>left.  Roll the ball up & right and it sends both up and right
>signals.

Since it can't send velocity information in joystick mode, I can't see very
much use for this trackball, unless it's at least 'more confortable' than
joystick in some games.
For example, is playing 'Missile command', 'Crystal castles', 'Centipede'
with the trackball really better than doing the same with the joystick?

>In trackball mode, (I believe) it's supposed to be more a
>matter of sending a vector, where both speed and direction are
>important.

I think that it should send pulses to the 2600 when rolled, and counting the
lenght of the interval between pulses can determine the velocity of the ball...

Ciao,
 P.

--
Archives available at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/