Re: [stella] Arkanoid clones

Subject: Re: [stella] Arkanoid clones
From: combee@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Ben Combee)
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 00:50:16 -0500 (CDT)
> I wanted to think of a good game that would fit in 2k of space, and reuse
> all these Combat carts that are floating around; but, alas, no good ideas
> have surfaced yet.

One idea I had today, while thinking about new concepts for 2600
games, was the idea of a 2600 version of Tomagochi, the virtual pet
from Japan.  I had one of the knock-offs (the Virtual Alien), and it
is pretty cute... you could use player graphics for almost
everything... the alien/critter could be two players side by side for
a 16 pixel wide creature, while the icons could be reused players
above and below the creature.  It looks like there is a fairly simple
state table uses to control how the creature acts -- variables needed
would easily fit in 20 bytes or so.

This might require 4K if you wanted a lot on animation.  You could
definitely make the game part (playing with the pet) more interesting!

Or... along the same lines, how about a 2600 digital clock... set the
time on startup, then let the 2600 keep time.  That would be fairly
simple (increment seconds every 60 frames, ripple increment minutes,
hours, days...) and might be a fun project.

--
Benjamin L. Combee (combee@xxxxxxxxxxxx) <URL:http://www.yak.net/combee/>
...if the highlight of your day is prowling through signatures looking for