Re: [stella] Cubis beta 2

Subject: Re: [stella] Cubis beta 2
From: Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Eckhard Stolberg)
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 1997 16:45:55 +0200
>It's a good work. The biggest criticism I can make is that there are
>already some Tetris clones for the 2600. Couldn't you include some variant
>in gameplay to make it a bit more original?

I thought the two player mode was quite original for VCS Tetris.
But I still have some space left, so other suggestions are always wellcome.

>Moreover... I assume that the melody that is playing will be changed  for
>the final version, ok? ;-)

I wanted a russian song in the game and 'Those were the days' was the best
one, that I could find and play on the TIA. If you have a better one - just
send to me. FTSFX version preferred :-)

>Speaking of music, I think that it would be much better if the notes had a
>decay in volume (like a piano sound), instead of being cut off abruptly.

I thought about that, but it was already hard enough to free the RAM for
the current soundroutine. Maybe I'll change it to SC RAM, then decay should
be possible.

BTW I have included a version, that works on the emulators. It works fine
on Stella, but PC Atari 1.5 does the sprite positioning wrong one pixel,
which makes it a little bit harder to play. It still would be nice, if
someone could try it out on a real NTSC VCS, please.

>BTW... I'm working hard on my game, now the gameplay is almost defined:
>- there are asteroids and enemies floating around
>- shooting an asteroid many times turns it into a... crystal (?)
>- collect the crystals and drop them to make horizontal rows
>- enemies that reach the left of the screen will steal your crystals
>- shoot the enemies to defend yourself and the crystals
>- when a row of 8 crystals is completed you get a "bomb"
>- when the last wave of enemies is finished, the "boss" will appear
>- kill the boss with the bombs!
>
>The game is 80% ready, thought there's still a lot of fine-tuning to do.

Sound good, now lets see how it plays.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg