[stella] Realism

Subject: [stella] Realism
From: Glenn Saunders <krishna@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 20:24:40 -0700 (PDT)
On Thu, 14 Aug 1997, Chris Wilkson - MCD wrote:
> >From a programming standpoint, [alert: amatuer talking out the wrong end]
> there is no more difficulty with a cart.  Some might argue that supercharger
> games are more difficult to write.  [end of spewing forth aimlessly]

You obviously didn't listen to my Doug Neubauer comparison.

The advantages to the SC is that you don't have to wait for EPROMs to burn
and unlike ROM you have RAM you can take advantage of, which would come in
handy when you have a lot of stuff to keep track of.  That's a big reason
why Dragonstomper is a SC game and not a banked ROM game, and that there
have been no other "true" RPGs on ROM for the 2600.

The more elaborate the cartridge design, the more hardware hassle it is
for the developer and the harder it is to debug.

If it took Doug 15 months for Solaris, then it would probably take a less
experienced programmer 2-3 years for a project like this.  And I would
assume that people on this list prefer their gratification a bit more
instant than that.