Re: R: [stella] New project - RPG engine

Subject: Re: R: [stella] New project - RPG engine
From: emooney1@xxxxxxxx (Erik K Mooney)
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 13:04:25 -0400
>> And hence, the project plan has been to write the kernel first, then
>the
>> story.
>
>This was in response to the urging on rgvc that they go this route.
>They
>would not have done this on their own.  Yet they are sticking to their
>guns on the banked ROM cartridge format.  Sometimes you have to learn
>the
>hard way...

The previous RPG "team" was the guys who had a world but didn't have a
kernel.. I'm working on a completely independent RPG kernel at the
moment..
if I get that working, I'll worry about storyboards for this game then.
As for the format, I don't know what format the other guys were planning
to use, but I'm aiming for a 16 or 128k banked ROM design.  I have
considered the Supercharger, but it really doesn't seem right for this
project..
the biggest disadvantage is the loading times.  I'm hoping for a more
open,
freeform world like Legend of Zelda, which means that instead of a dozen
loads per game, it could need a load as often as every screen.

16k bankswitched games are supported by the emulators, so the game
would be fully playable then... and a release on cart might be possible.

>> I'm not saying it will be done either; INV looked like it was just
>SO CLOSE
>> and then, bam... development ground to a halt.  This happens with
>amateur
>> projects.  Amateurs also tend to come up with things professionals
>never
>> thought og.
>
>INV was hardly as ambitious, and the game is almost done.  The concept
>of
>playfield graphics as sprites was shown to be viable.  Apples and
>oranges.

Well, I was aiming for a playable game, not just doing it to prove the
playfield-as-sprites concept.  I just can't force myself to sit down and
finish the code.. it's a complete mess :(

>I take my hobbies seriously.  If it's worth doing at all, it's worth
>finishing, and it's worth finishing right.

Yeah, I understand your position on this, and I probably was
hyping my project too much... It's only a landscape kernel at the moment,
with a little bit of player-movement code in there.  It might have
potential, or I might lose interest again.. I really can't say yet.