[stella] Duel Arena

Subject: [stella] Duel Arena
From: Robin Harbron <robinh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 14:03:08 -0400
Piero Cavina wrote:

> Which kind of game is it? It's good news that you will work for the 2600:
> the more new games we have, the better (even if this means fewer chances
> for me to win the contest ;-)

It's a port of my first complete C64 game, Duel Arena... seemed
ideal to learn the 2600 with.  Two cars, both armed with heat
seeking missiles, in an arena... first to eliminate the other's
armour wins.  It's like Car Wars meets Combat.

I'll also be attempting to do all the coding in my favourite C64
assembler, Turbo Macro Pro/Style.  I'll have to do a port of
makewav... but that looks pretty simple.  .wav players are no
problem.  But more ideal would be a fully integrated package...
I'd like to skip the .wav part all together, just assemble,
and then have a routine that "plays" the object code out into
the Supercharger, without the big .wav file inbetween... we'll
have to see, but apparently an old Apple II system did it this way.

> If there's a thing that I really hate, it's that kind of platform games
> where you control a man, and when he jumps he does not follow the physics
> laws (i.e. gravity acceleration). Sadly, there are many games of this kind
> for the 2600.

The cool feel/physics in Frogs & Flies is one reason I like
it so much.  On another note, I just got Stargate on cart -
wow!  After seeing Defender, and thinking that it was pushing
the 2600 at least a bit (but I think I know how all of it
was done), Stargate is totally amazing - and really playable
too.

And... I've been playing Barnstorming a fair bit...  How did
they get 2 colours on the plane (yellow and black on the same
line) and still get the barn displayed?

Robin.