Re: [stella] Wanted: Buff 2600 programmer for new game!

Subject: Re: [stella] Wanted: Buff 2600 programmer for new game!
From: Glenn Saunders <krishna@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 1997 22:22:53 -0700 (PDT)
On Wed, 3 Sep 1997, kickass wrote:
> Hi, I've got a game I want to make for the 2600, but assembly (especially
> 2600 line-by-line,) is currently a bit out of my league. I am very adept

I'd strongly encourage someone to work with this guy.

The reason being that there may be people on this list who are good
coders, but not necessarily good game designers.  The two do not
necessarily always coexist!!  Sometimes it's best to focus on your
strengths and allow others to help you in your weaker areas.

There is also a trend that hobby game programmers fall into of always
defaulting to a clone of a preexisting game vs. a totally original title.
For instance, John Dondzilla writes great games for the Vec, but _ALL_ of
them are clones, not originals.  There is something to be said for
originality, which would be quite refreshing on an old console.

So I would encourage you to consider working with him.

I understand that the 2600 is a system where one person can write a game
from scratch without any help, but even the best games, though authored by
only one person, was a team effort and benefitted from the shared
routines, advice, and playtesting of coworkers.

Why not give it a try?