Re: [stella] re: optimizations; Call for suggestions

Subject: Re: [stella] re: optimizations; Call for suggestions
From: Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Eckhard Stolberg)
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 16:05:39 +0200
>On-topic question: what would folks suggest as the best text entry system
>for a secret message encryption cartridge?  I'm thinking paddles because
>the keyboard controllers are harder to find, and don't have enough keys
>to cover the alphabet.

If you don't want to use the keyboard, I think the easiest method for
the user would be to move a cursor with the joystick over the alphabet
or over a scrolling alphabet, like many 8bit games used for their high
score lists.

>Playfield graphics for the text, variable width font to maximize how much
>text can be displayed.  4K standard cart should do it, no Supercharger
>required.

I don't know, if the 12 sprites text modes in Dark Mage and Bob Colbert's
scrolling demo require SC RAM, but they would allow better output and
more text on the screen, than a playfield routine could provide.

>The program would use straight or triple DES, so it couldn't be exported
>or posted to STELLA (but that's part of the point, actually, since
>encryption restrictions look silly when a 2600 cart can be banned.)

You could use ENIGMA encryption instead. The interface would be a lot
simpler and the encryption results would be ready before the VCS burns
out. Also export wouldn't be restricted, right? :-)

On the other hand, the challenge wouldn't be that big, but maybe you
can include crypto analysis routines as well. :-)

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg