[stella] 12 chars/line!? (was: re: optimizations; Call for suggestions)

Subject: [stella] 12 chars/line!? (was: re: optimizations; Call for suggestions)
From: Piero Cavina <p.cavina@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 18:01:38 +0100
At 16:05 +0200 23-09-1997, Eckhard Stolberg wrote:

>>Playfield graphics for the text, variable width font to maximize how much

...a variable width font seems a bit too much for the 2600... :-)

>>text can be displayed.  4K standard cart should do it, no Supercharger
>>required.
>
>I don't know, if the 12 sprites text modes in Dark Mage and Bob Colbert's
>scrolling demo require SC RAM, but they would allow better output and
>more text on the screen, than a playfield routine could provide.

The "classic" score routine can draw 6 digits, that is 6*8=48 pixels/line.
Could it be modified to display 2x4-bits wide charachters for each digit?

Let me explain...

 digit 1   digit 2
00000000001111111111...
01234567890123456789...

XX...X..XXX.XX...X..
X.X..X..X...X.X.X.X.... etc etc..
XX...X..XXX.XX..X.X.
X....X..X...X.X.X.X.
X....X..XXX.X.X..X..

That would allow 48/4=12 charachters per line (without flicker)!

Can it be done? Or -better- has it already been done?
I think it would cost some RAM to store temporary data, but it should be
possible.

P.