Re: R: [stella] request for comments: RESCUE.BIN

Subject: Re: R: [stella] request for comments: RESCUE.BIN
From: Jim Nitchals <jimn8@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 1997 17:06:13 -0700 (PDT)

> Good idea!  I knew there was a solution out there.  I'll have to try
> this and see if I can make it work as well as it sounds ;)

Sorry if I'm jumping in late here, but in my game "Star Thief" for the
Apple II, which used 1 or 2 paddles with only 1 button apiece, the
algorithm was:

button-press:  shoot
button-hold (1/4 - 1/3 second): thrust

It was also an option in my earlier Asteroids clone "Asteroid Field"
(audiovisual elements licensed from Atari.)

When shooting, it's easy to plug them off without thrusting by
accident.  When thrusting, the delay is acceptable (and part of the
strategy of thinking ahead.)

It worked extremely well.  If your game play can't handle random shots
being fired just to get rocket thrust, it won't work.  But it's a
tested approach that pleased game players of the 1980-1982 era  :)