Re: [stella] Who we are

Subject: Re: [stella] Who we are
From: Nick S Bensema <nickb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 18:11:15 -0700 (MST)
>The language wouldn't be run on the 2600 - it would be on a
>"real computer" ;) that would pump out 6507 code that
>would be the game.  I think it'd be quite easy to write a
>generic kernal that would handle the 2 players, 2 missiles
>and 1 ball, and allow a simple background - then you'd have
>to create the game logic that could run outside of the display -
>it's certainly possible, the only problem is that all the games
>would tend to look the same, like games made with Game Maker,
>or the Shoot-em Up Construction Kit (SEUCK).

While I agree that a kernal generation kit would be groovy, perhaps
we should leave it sprite-free and just allow enough cycle time in
its code for one to put one's own code in.

Or, at least allow for four flickering sprites, and/or multiple segments
of screen which could have independent player spaces, while giving the
entire screen its own missile space.

Of course, a programmer could flash two sprites into four pretty easily
with the time he has left in the vblank and stuff.

Stuff like that.  In my opinion, it's too complicated a problem for a human
being to come up with something versatile enough to be desirable.