Re: [stella] Supercharger RAM question

Subject: Re: [stella] Supercharger RAM question
From: Erik Mooney <emooney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 12:35:50 -0500 (EST)
> One SC question:  Is there any part of the SC that I need to worry about
> that is _not_ RAM?  I'm not anywhere close to messing with the SC, but it
> has in the past sounded like you could rewrite part of your scan line
> routine (for example) during overscan with the SC.  That is just about
> perfect for achieving special effects for this game.  I was thinking
> about writing a program that actually had commands in the Atari's RAM,
> just to see if that would work...  This is pretty much what writing code
> for the SC would be like, correct?  (knowing, of course, that I'd have
> TONS more RAM!)

Sure, you can do it.  I was experimenting with a kernel that ran in the
2600's regular RAM space, and that worked... no reason you can't change
your code on a SC, while it's in RAM.  When you do a Supercharger load,
that data goes into the SC's RAM, and you can change it with the code.
(ahh, the good old days... we didn't ahve none of these fancy code and
data segments back then, that generated a general protection fault if you
tried to run bytes in a data segment, or vice versa... but I digress...)

The ROM portion of the Supercharger displays the Rewind Tape messages and
the starfield, and does the decoding necessary to convert the audio signal
and store it as bytes in RAM.  You shouldn't need to worry about that...
the most you'd have to do is transfer control back to it if you wanted to
do another load.