Re: [stella] Sync question and my game's bin

Subject: Re: [stella] Sync question and my game's bin
From: Piero Cavina <p.cavina@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 22:02:03 +0100
At 18:08 -0500 12-03-1998, Ruffin Bailey wrote:

>Actually the logic I have in mind is going to make the dots a ton tougher
>imo.  Esp if I want the game to be challenging.  Also thinking about
>having some pieces of the PF that change after you grab the different

This happened also in the original game, but you'll have to adapt this to a
symmetrical playfield. Boys, what a wonderful game Jumpman was... I'll have
to play it on the Apple 2 emulator this weekend! ;)

>"prizes".  Prizes won't be too tough if I just keep track of the P0's x-
>and y-coords.  The "AI" for the killer dots will.  Any ideas?  I will be
>using missiles and the ball for those, btw.

hmm.

Sprite0 = player
Sprite1, reused, with varius NUSIZes = prizes (simple rectangular blocks,
obviously)
Missile0 = first dot
Ball = second dot
Missile1 = probably useless in the kernel, because it's influenced by the
prizes

In a kernel like this it would be very hard to do everything everywhere. I
mean, you can't have lines where you draw the player AND reposition sprite
1 AND reload the playfield AND activate the ball... so you'll need to think
a lot in advance.

For simplicity, I would recommend to study carefully a configuration where
the evil dots don't have to be drawn in the same lines where you will
reposition Sprite1: for example, make sure that reposition-lines are always
odd lines, and put the dots in the other lines...

This won't be a beginner's kernel, but it shouldn't be impossible. Also, it
would not be a bad idea to try to disassemble some game of this kind, like
Miner 2049er.

Too bad I can't work on it now... :-/

Ciao,
 P.