Re: [stella] Hiragana Font For The 2600

Subject: Re: [stella] Hiragana Font For The 2600
From: Chris Cracknell <crackers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 19:45:17 -0400 (EDT)
In article <Pine.BSI.3.96.980417002424.28240D-100000@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, you wrote:
>On Fri, 17 Apr 1998, Chris Cracknell wrote:
>> a Hidari Vs Migi game like in Nadesico. ;) It worked well in the 8x8 block.
>> Then I decided to make the whole Hiragana set.
>
>You don't have to limit it to 8x8 since the 2600's sprites can be as tall
>as the entire screen (unlike the NES).  You can always extend it
>vertically.  Plus, if you go to single-scanline you gain some extra
>vertical resolution to play with.
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~

For the Kana's the vertical resolution isn't that big a deal. It was trying
to fit the Kana in an 8-bit wide block that was hard. Once you put the
Kana in the 8-bit wide block they almost all work out to 8-bits high by
nature of the proportions of the character. Many of them are less than 8-bits
high, but I stuck them all into 8-bit high sprites so that the same
sprite loading routine would work with any sprite.

I should have my Hiragana demo finished tonight or tomorrow. As far as I know
it'll be the first Atari 2600 programme to have Japanese Kana in it. Woohoo!

I'm thinking it might be neat to replace the communication icons in my V-pet
with Kana that represents the actions.

TA for taberu /eat
NE for neru   /sleep
etc.

                                     CRACKERS
                    (Nihongo no geemu wa jigoku kara desu yo!!!!!)

--

Accordionist - Wethifl Musician - Atari 2600 Collector | /\/\
*NEW CrAB URL* http://www.hwcn.org/~ad329/crab.html ***| \^^/