Re: [stella] Formats (64K Flat Model??)

Subject: Re: [stella] Formats (64K Flat Model??)
From: Greg Troutman <mor@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 May 1998 08:21:02 -0700
bwmott@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> >   You know what would be neat if difficult and complex?  Bank-switching
> > hardware that works by recognizing the 6502 opcodes as the processor retrieves
> > them, and adjusting the mapping accordingly.
>
> Yeah, but the hardware has to be smart enough to know the difference
> between opcodes and data.  That would require it to remain in lock step
> with the 6507 and know about all of the 6507 instructions wouldn't it?

Without the control bus available to the bank-switching circuit it would
seem pretty dang hard.

> One thing I've wondered is if it's possible to overclock the 6507 in
> the 2600.  Maybe the 6507 in the 2600 Jr could handle running at the
> same speed as the TIA.  Has anyone every tried this?

Probably not 3.58 Mhz, but Kevin Horton once wrote about doing 2 Mhz
with chips straight out of the 2600 (I think, or maybe they came out of
~1 Mhz 8-bit computers...)  You could maybe reduce the cycle ratio to 2
color clocks per machine cycle with over-clocking.

How about getting one of those 16 Mhz 65C02 from WDC, cutting out the
6507, and clocking the new design to run at a reverse ratio: 3 machine
cycles for each color clock...  and while you're in there re-wiring
things, run a line from the R/W pin on the CPU to the spare ground pin
on the cart port to get one-for-one mapping out of cartridge RAM.  A
Turbo2600.  That would be fun to code for!

--
mor@xxxxxxx
http://www.crl.com/~mor/