Re: [stella] 4 colour playfield - final R&D demo

Subject: Re: [stella] 4 colour playfield - final R&D demo
From: "Andrew Davie" <adavie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 20:31:11 +1000
Kurt

>OK, I looked at it again. It runs... anyway, I can't figure out what it
>should get when it's ready - it all looks too confusing. Could you
>please explain what sort of game it should be?

There is something important that you are not understanding.  This is NOT a
game.  R&D stands for "research and development".  The idea is that I am
exploring a new technique which allows 4 colours on the screen at the same
time.  The bat demo may look pretty, but it only has that single black
colour, and thats all it can do.  Sure, anyone can cycle the colours of the
background every scan line - but try to get 4 non-background colours up.

That's what this has all been about - exploring the possibility of creating
a 4 colour playfield.  My demo shows that it is possible.  All you will see
is a pretty boring screen, but WITH 4 COLOURS in the playfield.  That is all
it is meant to do.  No, you can't do anything with it.  No, there's no fun
in playing it.  But it shows that I can now think about creating games using
4 colour playfields.  The game I decide to write is another subject
altogether.

So, when you prefer the bat demo to the 4 colour playfield demo - I have to
disagree.  The bat demo offers no further potential - it is doing something
quite simple.  The 4 colour playfield demo opens the door to interesting
future possibilities.  One was written just to look pretty, and the other as
research into a technique.

Care to reconsider?

Cheers