RE: [stella] 4 colour playfield - final R&D demo

Subject: RE: [stella] 4 colour playfield - final R&D demo
From: "John Saeger" <john@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 13:28:01 -0700
> The 4 colour playfield demo opens the door to interesting
> future possibilities.

Maybe, but the object is to create something that is both pleasing to the
eye and fun to play.  I think that rather than making this easier, the 4
color technique will end up making it more difficult.  Flicker is a design
element that's best used sparingly (if at all), and the objects that are
made to flicker should be chosen in an appropriate way.  IMHO, as a rule,
too much flicker is annoying, no matter what you're looking at it on.

But please note that I'm not saying it can't be done. Yars' Revenge uses
flicker in a big way and profitably as well.  But I'd say that's the
exception, not the rule.

So what's my vote?  Neither yay nor nay.  If you decide you need to use it,
use it appropriately and don't overdo it.

BTW, the square moving across the screen is pretty cool!  Playfield graphics
only??  Not bad!!

Good Luck!

John