Re: [stella] Four-player adapter?

Subject: Re: [stella] Four-player adapter?
From: Chris Wilkson <ecwilkso@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 15:16:46 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 14 Sep 1998, Eckhard Stolberg wrote:

> When people on RGVC discuss about new games for the VCS, four-player
> paddle versions of Combat or Indy 500 are always on the wishlist.
> But I think those games should better be played with their nomal
> controlers. Newer game systems all have a four-player adapter to
> support these kind of games.
>
> My question is, if it would be possible to design a cheap and easy
> to assemble four-player adapter for the VCS?

I though this was already discussed here...?  Anyway, the hardware would
be trivial for joysticks-only, more difficult but definitely doable for
the entire port protocol.  I'll try to dig my 2600 specs out of storage
and estimate the cost for parts.

> From a programmers standpoint I think the easiest solution would
> be to use one controler port for the input and the four output
> pins of the second port to select the controler to read. Would
> something like this be possible? Does a two port solution have
> any advantages or disadvantages over a one port solution?

I think this is good, but only if the multi-ports are fully implemented.
There should also be a switch to choose multi vs. regular operation, so
that one could switch between Raiders of the Lost Ark and Combat 2000
(16 players) without having to rewire their system.

-Chris