Re: [stella] Four-player adapter?

Subject: Re: [stella] Four-player adapter?
From: John K Harvey <jkharvey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 12:20:39 -0500
At 06:35 PM 9/14/98 +0200, you wrote:
>When people on RGVC discuss about new games for the VCS, four-player
>paddle versions of Combat or Indy 500 are always on the wishlist.
>But I think those games should better be played with their nomal
>controlers. Newer game systems all have a four-player adapter to
>support these kind of games.
>
>My question is, if it would be possible to design a cheap and easy
>to assemble four-player adapter for the VCS?
>
>From a programmers standpoint I think the easiest solution would
>be to use one controler port for the input and the four output
>pins of the second port to select the controler to read. Would
>something like this be possible? Does a two port solution have
>any advantages or disadvantages over a one port solution?
>

>Thanks, Eckhard Stolberg
>

>--
>Archives (includes files) at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/
>Unsub & more at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/

I just asked my hardware expert engineering friend what he thought.

He writes:
"The adaptor is trivial, just as wiring a nintendo, or SNES, or
playstation, or NES64 controller to the atari.  The catch is that you need
a program to utilize it.

I'll probably write something up later tonight"

I can keep you posted.

-John K. Harvey