Re: [stella] RAM Cart?

Subject: Re: [stella] RAM Cart?
From: Mark De Smet <desmet@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 14:53:47 -0600 (CST)
> Does the Supercharger use DRAM or does it use non-battery-backed static RAM?

I'm not sure, but it came out late enough for 8k or so of SRAM to not be
that expensive.(I think)  I would doubt that it used DRAM.  The thing with
DRAM is that it must be refreshed.  Meaning that the extra circuitry must
regularly read the data from every cell in the memory and re-write it.
During these periods, the VCS wouldn't be able to read.  I don't think
that it would work here.  (It works in a PC because it's memory subsystem
has a ready line(or something similar) and the processor stalls while
waiting, assuming no cache)

> >EPROM or eraseable programmable read only memory can only be programed
> It's definitely not useful as a general purpose RAM chip.

But perfect for producing games to sell :)

> Can one read and write to an EEPROM fast enough to act as general purpose RAM?

Nope, and depending on what EEPROM you get, you have to erase whole blocks
at a time.  I think that there is a limited number of erases to.  But it
would be neat to build a 'RAM'-type cart with one.

Mark