Re: [stella] Poll: Developer Wishlist

Subject: Re: [stella] Poll: Developer Wishlist
From: Tennessee Carmel-Veilleux <veilleux@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 07:37:42 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, Schwerin wrote:

> Not hearing much love for java out there :(  The main reason I bring it up
> is that would be the easiest for me to develop in at the time being.  I'm
> using the mac and PC platforms so for me it's just obvious to write my
> "in-house" needs in java.

My "in-house" apps are all 100% ANSI C, and I've never had any problems
porting them on different platforms. There's a myth about java portability.
Java is portable only if the standard is followed 100% on every platform,
which is really not the case.

> As for speed, how much speed do you need?  A full IDE needs to be well
> built, I agree.  But smaller tools need less perfection.  How fast do you
> need your 6K program to assemble?  Are you willing to suffer some lag in a
> pixel editor if it saves you time writing asm data tables?

VERY fast. I think that speed is really important. Because programmers
nowadays don't care about speed, a stupid featureless text editing program
which is crappier than even my anus can tell, now runs on Win98 with a P166
minimum, with 32megs of RAM, whilst my good friend Word Perfect 5.1 could run
on even the crappiest XT if you gave it a High density floppy drive and 640k
of RAM. This IS the problem plaguing today's computer world: people don't
fu**ing care about speed (sorry for being vulgar here). It's driving the
industry down. Real coders should know assembly. Making a tool as fast as
possible only makes me happier, even though nobody's gonna notice if I made a
slow one, I'm still sure that *MY* programs will work on ye 'ol 16mhz 386.

> Rest assured, on my 25 Mhz mac VM, I can tell when java is more like molasses.
> (It's garbage collection drives me crazy sometimes).

On my P233, the Netscape VM is far worst than a 6507 at 3.58/3mhz ;)

	Regards,

--
Tennessee Carmel-Veilleux (Coordonator of Digital Meltdown)
veilleux@xxxxxxxxx (www.ameth.org/~veilleux) ICQ ID : 8604827