RE: [stella] Pitfall (was Re: Role-Playing Game Development)

Subject: RE: [stella] Pitfall (was Re: Role-Playing Game Development)
From: "Jeremy C. Jack" <jjack@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 15:15:35 -0400
> Has anyone ever managed to finish Pitfall?  With the map I made I can see
> where every treasure is and I've mapped out every tunnel in the game that
> isn't a dead end, but even then it seems that it would be very difficult
> to finish the game in 20 minutes, even with a highly optimized path using
> a perfect knowledge of the tunnel layout.  Finishing the game by only
> traveling on the surface seems to be out of the question.

Considering the underlying algorithm for what room went where is a
simplified version of a random number generator, I believe this makes you a
chaotician.  Looking for a (if not THE) pattern and attractor amongst the
randomness....  At some point in time I'll have to pull the algorithm from
the cart and calculate the maximum amount of treasure possible.  Should be
an interesting exercise.

- Jeremy C. Jack

--
The mighty oak was once a little nut that stood its ground.