RE: [stella] Pitfall (was Re: Role-Playing Game Development)

Subject: RE: [stella] Pitfall (was Re: Role-Playing Game Development)
From: "Jeremy C. Jack" <jjack@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 17:15:28 -0400
> There are a fixed number of treasures and the map, if not hard coded into
> the game ROM somewhere, does appear to be unchanging.  I've got the
> treasure locations all mapped out, but even with what to me seems like a
> pretty optimized path through the rooms, gathering all the treasures in
> the allotted time seems to be quite difficult.  I believe winning the game
> will require using the tunnels because underground movement through the
> tunnels is faster than movement on the surface, and you certainly don't
> have enough time to run through all the rooms on just the surface.
>
> I'd really like to know if anyone has ever beaten the game.

Actually, that brings up a kind of interesting question.  I know that
Pitfall uses a predictive algorithm to determine what screen comes next.
The screen you're on is a number that is sort of used as a seed for a
pseuodo random number generator and the result is the screen you see.  Move
forward a screen it increments the seed, move backwards it decrements.  But
the treasure has to be stored apart from that function because once you snag
a treasure, if you go back to the screen, it's gone.

I'm kind of new to the Atari assembly language, tho.  Has anyone looked at
this?  If not, what's the best tool to wade through the code?

- Jeremy C. Jack

--
The mighty oak was once a little nut that stood its ground.