Re: [stella] New scrolling text cart available

Subject: Re: [stella] New scrolling text cart available
From: "John K. Harvey" <jkharvey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 23:14:41 -0500
>That's basically right, but you said you want it to be in "Pressure Gauge"
>along with the game. Even if it may not be necessary to display longer
>messages, it may be a good idea to try to compress the scrolling screen
>memory in order to have more room left for the actual game. If you use up
>all the memory in the cart for the scrolling message, there won't be much
>left for a game.

True.  But Pressure Gauge itself (the game code) is only 2K, so I figured,
what the hey.  It's already implemented and not too huge.

>OK, a question: Do you want others to improve on this maybe, or should they
>start from the beginning? Or do you want to make further improvements
>yourself, before you give it into others' hands?

	Interesting.  How about this... I have a couple of days off of work coming
up.  I'll give the ROLling idea an attempt (This actually is intriguing).
I'll try to maximize my space in order to get the 8x more space that most
people are expecting.  After that, I think I'll post a dummy copy that is
filled with meaningless text on my own personal web page.  Any suggestions
from that point on would be helpful, be it from decompiling or source code
or whatever.  Actually scratch that, I'll just post it here.
	Would this be better in a 6-digit format as opposed to a 4-digit format?
I don't think it'd make that much of a difference, but I'd actually like to
know your opinion on the matter.

	I have posted a sample 4K 384-bit sample,with the 4-digit routine, just so
everyone can take a look at it.

>"Where has all the memory gone?"
Possibly to the salad bar.

	-John K. Harvey

"The 80s aren't over.  It's Nineteen Eighty-nineteen."