Re: [stella] Visual questions

Subject: Re: [stella] Visual questions
From: Glenn Saunders <cybpunks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 11:03:58 -0700
I was rereading the stella manual on VDEL and it seems to illustrate this...

Because of the calculation times for horizontal positioning, and I'm assuming the need for other housekeeping on the scanline like reading paddles, most games update only one sprite per scanline (in the old days).

So if you have two sprites, you really are doing writes to at least one player on each line, but alternating or interleaving.

Without VDEL, this would have the effect of having not only two sprites that have to have 2-pixel-high pixels, but not being able to align them on the same scanline (the line pairs for each sprite would be naturally offset by one scanline).

So I'm thinking that you'd have to position the second player up a line pair and enable VDEL on it to bump it down to line up with the first player.

Can anyone point me to the commented combat source?

This is getting very confusing to the point where I'm not sure how detailed I can get in explaining it...

Glenn Saunders - Producer - Cyberpunks Entertainment
Personal homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/1698
Cyberpunks Entertainment: http://cyberpunks.uni.cc

-- Archives (includes files) at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/ Unsub & more at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/