Re: [stella] Gunfight TWG

Subject: Re: [stella] Gunfight TWG
From: Erik Mooney <emooney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 14:00:16 -0500
> Erik Mooney wrote:
>
> > Glenn's idea is a great one.  As for the player graphics, don't draw them
> > from a overhead view Frogger style... rather, draw them from a
> > sort-of-angled viewpoint.  The whole thing could look quite a bit like
> > Tennis, with guns :)  And you could create a pretty convincing 3D effect
> > by clever designing and scaling of obstacles in the center.
>
> There's some major disadvantages regarding turning the TV 90°, which
> seems to have escaped most of you:
>
> The colors are shifted 90° too + my sprites are 19 Pixel long, which is
> some more than 8.

Well, you could use 16 or even 32 pixels for sprites in this direction,
using both players.

> - The idea would perfectly work with 8x8 monocolor sprites, though.
>
> Besides, I want to have that game on cart some day and play it on the
> real thing. And my $$$$ TV will NOT be turned by 90° !!! :-)

Many TVs experience color distortion and warping when turned sideways, and
so does my computer monitor, so I wouldn't be turning my screen either :)

> As for the kernel, I try going back to 1LK / Non-flickering (since you
> all seem to hate it... You're not playing 'Star Wars' very often, do
> you? :-)), but of course I've already some thoughts to (hopefully) make
> you WOW nevertheless. :-)

FWIW, I don't mind 2LK at all, but flicker does bother me.

> So, wach out for 'Gunfight TWG'!
> (Hehe, I love that: Tennis With Guns! What a cool name for a 2600 game!
> Thanks Erik!)

Hehe, you're welcome :)

You could also do it in pure 2D, still with detailed sprites.. it could
look like Kaboom except that the bottom sprite would be a view of the back
of a second gunman.  Keep that in mind if the gameplay in a 3d environment
doesn't work out.

-